Monday, April 15, 2013

Briar ebauchons from Alexander of Greece

Well, the day is finally here - I have briar! Below is the unboxing. Later this afternoon I'll sand back the sides of a block and look at the grain.

A couple of weeks ago my mother and father in-law were visiting and we took them to a local lookout. Down the side of the mountain was a discarded bakers tray...yes I climbed down to retrieve it...yes I snuck it into my boot so that my wife would not know...yes my father in-law was privy to my escapades...yes my wife found out (after I got it home hehehe)...yes I had an idea for it as soon as I saw it, read on!

E-day has arrived, after all those years of thinking about it I almost can't believe it's actually here!

I wonder how many will end up as pipes and how many will have fatal flaws, or how many I'll not drill correctly... time will tell I guess.

Ah, baker's tray - don't you love it when simple ideas work out perfectly?

Well ventilated, dry, heat source (roof) and away from potential wood-eating insects...the best I can do at this point. This will also allow me to tip the tray forwards to select pieces of briar - without having to take the whole thing down.

3 comments:

  1. How exciting they look great well done Hoot.
    I love the way a pipe man even when out with family
    he is still thinking pipes.
    But Hobo Hoot is the master to see a pipe use in a bread tray you are the "Pipe scrounger" master.
    But you idea for it is pure genius.
    HD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sanded one side of a random block this afternoon...will post pics tomorrow morning :) Sitting here right now sketching out a pipe to make from it. I'm actually tempted to get some pine post roughly the same dimensions as these blocks and use it to make roughs for each of the pipes, then drill that by hand and see how it turns out etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a fine idea Hoot. Sounds like you've worked out a good plan. Good luck and ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete