Monday, March 25, 2013

To light a pipe, matches!

Many pipeologists use many things to light their little friends. I am a man of matches, and at some point will try a tinder-lighter. For many years I have used these matches in their various forms (they have changed slightly over the years, but mainly in name). They are longer, thicker and slower burning than a standard match. Mostly they measure 55mm! I find them to be the perfect light, somewhere between a match and a spill. They issue forth a soft yellow flame that is easy to place and kind to rims. Moreover, should I need to relight deep in a big bowl, they easily reach.




4 comments:

  1. I have never seen those matches before.
    Look like just the job.
    I use a Zippo pipe lighter filled with Shellite
    probably the worst thing to use but i like it and have used Zippo's for years.
    I have 12 Zippo's but only 1 pipe insert.
    They say you can taste the fluid but i let it burn a bit before i light my pipe and i can't taste it.
    HD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like matches or a soft flame gas lighter. I've got a pipe Zippo but that thang goes through lighter fluid like there's no tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking hard and I honestly don't remember ever using anything but matches. There are a lot of people who swear by the bic lighter...just seems wrong to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hoot, you could try like I do when I'm in the bush and use flint, steel, tinderbox and charred wood punk and a small wad of grass or some other fiber. One of the best proponents of the system is Keith Burgess. He lives in Australia also. Very interesting man with some cool stuff to teach.

    ReplyDelete