Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Orlik Strong Dark Kentucky Flakes - Smoked by all shrewd judges


I had an email from a pipe forum member,  I thought I'd feature him as my post for the day! Below is the last in a string of emails. I love this tobacco, sweet, earthy, full and fruity.

-----------------------------------------

Dear Chuck,

The ODSKF has always been right up there with the old style (original) Balkan Sobranie for my taste-buds and smoking style. Attached is a photograph of a ODSKF flake (or several. have yet to take the photograph) from one of my tins.

Keep in mind that this flake has been aged 15 years and is much darker than when fresh. I'm also towards the end of this tin so whole flakes are hard to come by! These were the most complete three I could find. Hope it helps.

Note how yellowed the cardboard is, 15 years with tobacco will do that!

4 comments:

  1. Good stuff for a fact. Probably the best tobac I've ever tasted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a wonder to me that tobacco like this is discontinued, who would do such a thing! From reviews it would seem that Peter Heinrich's Dark Strong is quite similar though not as complex.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very similar for sure and I'd say its every bit as complex. Both are good and since the Orlik is gone I'll happily take the PHDSK when I can get it. A good smoke. Especially if you go heavy on the kentucky when you rub out some flakes. Dark, smoky, deep, sweet with bright citrus notes boogieing to the front and then exiting stage left...but a few minutes later...uh oh!...how can all this happen? There's a party in my pipe bowl. Hoooo law!!

    ReplyDelete